(Electric Theatre, Electric Theatre, Gaiety Theatre, Gaiety Theatre)
68 East Tabernacle
St. George, Utah
(1911 - Present)
The Electric Theatre was built in 1911 by Charlie Whipple, Johnnie Pymm, and Sherman Hardy. The walls of the 220-seat theater are adobe and are nearly three feet thick. It was the first air-conditioned building in St. George.
R. M. Reber purchased the Electric in 1930 for $10,000 and renamed it the Gaiety. He held a contest and offered five dollars to the person who could come up with the best name for the theater. During a later renovation, the name Electric restored.
The Electric Theater stopped showing movies after 1999.
In April 2003, the Flowers family roepened the Electric for music, bands, and live entertainment. 143 seats are available to the public on the main floor of the auditorium. The balcony is reserved for bands and their guests and includes 50 seats, couches, tables, and a buffet table.
1. Southern Utah Telephone Directory, September 1974 through May 1999